Friday, March 31, 2006

'quoting an old song is not the same as having a philosophy'

Yes, it's been a while since I've posted, but I don't think anyone was exactly chewing their nails off in anticipation.
Anyway, I'm glad it's the weekend since I've had a pretty long five days. The highlight of the week? Heidi and I were able to carry out a mission planned last Friday. Perhaps one of the greatest skills learned as a graduate student is how to get the most out of any and all free food opportunities. Heidi and I decided that our goal for the week was to consume at least one free meal every day. Here's how it went down:
Monday (breakfast) - free coffee and donuts from Invitrogen
Tuesday - (dinner) free pizza and beer at the Salk Mentoring Program meeting
Wednesday - (dinner) free german buffet for the head of safety's retirement party
Thursday - (breakfast) free bagels at Thursday Morning Meeting
Friday - (lunch/dinner) free box lunch at All-Salk poster session, Salk Science Day reception
Jealous?
Next week's mission: use sticky "bling" rhinestones to bedazzle the boss' razr and coffee mug.

Here's what else I've been up to lately: working a lot; getting up-to-date on www.dieselsweeties.com, reading Angela's Ashes, The Diamond Age, and Shadow of the Hegemon; listening to Metric, The Futureheads, old Liz Phair, Prefuse73, and Ted Leo. Also, for those of you who didn't know, I was taking care of three awesome puppies for a couple weeks, but they were no match for parvovirus and I don't really want to get into it.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

just a note - my nails are completely gone ;)

Kelly said...

p.s. cupcake-eating talking dinosaurs wreaking havoc while discussing the finer points of grammer = genius