Monday, October 16, 2006

Gray October

Overall, not a bad weekend. Here are a few highlights:

- Watched the WI-MN football game at a crowded badger bar Saturday morning. The game started at 9:00 am PT, so bloody mary was my drink of choice. Nearly everyone else, however, lived up to their true 'sconnie roots and downed pitcher after pitcher of Miller lite, not to mention more than a few rounds or jager bombs. WI pretty much killed the gophers and so Paul Bunyan's Ax will remain at Camp Randall for another year.

- Saw a baby western diamondback rattlesnake down by the greenhouses. It was a cool evening, so the foot-long bugger didn't seem too interested in doing much besides flicking its tongue, allowing me to get a pretty good look. Dark gray with pale yellow diamond outlines and just a single rattle on its tail.

- Saturday evening I saw "Walk the Line." I started stealing my Dad's Johnny Cash albums well over ten years ago, so I knew I would like it, but it was even better than I had anticipated. Joaquin Phoenix's singing was pretty impressive, though a bit lacking in the rich baritones of the Man in Black.

- Last night we went out for Pho. We hadn't been for about three weeks, so I was really jonesing for it. This time I skipped the meatballs and just got the usual, which was delicious as always. Plus, something about the noodles, or the MSG, or the steak tends to make us a little giggly so the drive back to lab was pretty hilarious.

It's starting to get nice and chilly at night, perfect sleeping weather. I've added a second quilt to my bed so I can still keep the fan on and the window open.

No comments: