Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Me and the Devil Blues

Just now I returned from the kitchen to my bedroom, and as I fired up the DVD player for some BBC Planet Earth, I picked up the seemingly distant sound of plucking guitar and a mournful tune. My first thought- "Oh man, my neighbors are playing Robert Johnson! Awesome!" But in reality I had left iTunes playing on my computer, forgot about it, and Robert Johnson follows up RJD2 in my playlist. So much for awesome neighbors, although I did catch the folks downstairs watching Home Movies once...

Before I go, I'd like to explain my sentiments towards Comic Sans. I don't *really* hate it, and I actually feel all but neutral towards the its creator. From time to time, Comic Sans is a perfectly reasonable choice of typeface; for example, a 3rd grade end-of-year picnic. Basically, anywhere that a hand-written crayon is acceptable, so too is Comic Sans. However, that font has no business whatsoever in a formal powerpoint presentation of research findings at a scientific meeting, seminar, journal club, etc. Arial or Helvetica is fine, great even. And if your findings are so entirely dull and soporific that you fall back on a "whimsy" font to liven things up, well then maybe you should have withdrawan that abstract.

"Sweet Home Chicago" is playing now, and once again I am confused about what the hell RJ actually meant.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i've used comic sans with the intention of using its grating, offsetting shape to instill a deep sense of irony/sarcasm in the content of my words. To this day I have been disappointed by the lack of appreciation for this particular nuance...