Monday, August 02, 2010

Not-so-Raw, Day 21

"Fuckit!" Was a common utterance this weekend. It started with a Saturday afternoon text message: "Fuck it. Having coffee. Probably a beer later." In honor of those sentiments, I had a Bloody Mary that evening. Basically, we've decided that for the remainder of the experiment (less than two weeks now), we'll keep breakfasts and lunches strictly raw but certain cheats are allowed for evening meals and snacks. For example, last night we made hummus with beans we'd cooked. Certain rules still apply: no dairy (pasteurized), no cooked meats, no crackers or breads besides what we've made (making a sprouted wheat bread that involves yeast and an oven tonight), no canned food.

The whole thing just started to seem so absurdly arbitrary. You can't lightly steam some greenbeans, but you can dry corn in a dehydrator for 24 hours at 105 F. Every book I read professed to be raw and yet called for ingredients like toasted sesame oil, goat cheese, or even bourbon and baked fish in the recipe section. Basically, we just got disenchanted.

Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying my morning smoothies and have yet to get sick of the Asian slaw which I've been eating almost daily for over a week. I also like how this diet forces me to bring fresh fruit and vegetables as snacks since I can't just run down to the convenience store for some candy or chex mix. And it did seem kinda weird clearing all the stuff (bowl of tomatoes, food processor, etc) off the stove so we could use a burner last night.

Last night I also made a big bowl of salsa. Pretty traditional:
Tomatoes
Jalapeno
Red Onion
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Cilantro
Little salt
Jicama to mix things up

It's delicious. I eat it with a spoon.

Dressing I have planned for tonight:
Fresh Basil
Flat leaf parsley
Pine Nuts
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Touch of Cider vinegar
Salt
Pepper

Poured over:
Cucumber Chunks
Tomato Chunks
Thinly Sliced Red Onion

No comments: