My advisor hired a new undergrad for the summer, partially for general lab jobs, partially to help me with my various projects. He's a nice guy, very competent and easy to teach so it's a pretty ideal situation for me. This morning, while working in the greenhouse, I started talking about how several lab members have some form of chronic sleep problem, which is why Heidi usually gets in around 7 am while Jeff can barely make it in before 10. I added that I'd had my tonsils removed last year because of sleep apnea, to which he casually replied "Oh yeah, sleep apnea is how my mom died." Yeah that left me pretty nonplussed. I'll let you know when I come up with a tactful segue out of that conversational black hole, but somehow we managed to move on to less morbid things, I think I just desperately tried to shift attention to an interesting floral phenotype.
Fortunately for me, blogs do not require segues of any sort, so I can dive right in to recommending "Flight of the Conchords" to anyone who has access to HBO on Demand. It's hilarious, and now I'm really looking forward to seeing "Eagle vs. Shark." I have a feeling that persons familiar with New Zealand and its inhabitants will find it even funnier.
Here's a nice shot of Scripps Pier that my friend Laura took on her visit last week.
No comments:
Post a Comment