Saturday, November 24, 2007
Death of Analog
I went to a store near my apartment called "Photo Express" today to buy some film. They did not have medium format or polaroid films. But they did have a bunch of screaming children running around waiting to get family portraits taken. It was horrible and disorienting. In the end, I drove across town to a real camera store, which was packed with a lot of confused old ladies who couldn't figure out why their digital cameras wouldn't turn on (needed to charge battery) or how to turn their Thanksgiving photos into prints.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Word. It pains me to see people in George's Camera buying digital SLR cameras who don't even know what the word 'aperture' means, or who won't ever buy a lens other than the kit lens it comes with. Fortunately, though, they still sell medium format and a huge selection of 35mm film - I'm lucky the store's located in North Park, even if they do have shitty hours (9-5:30).
Strangely, I seem to be going back to my roots - bought a complete darkroom setup with a Beseler enlarger off of Craigslist to do black and white prints in my apartment, and a Holga to shoot 120 film. I just wish I had more free time...
Polaroid discontinued Type 80 film, so I guess I'm going to have to finally switch to 120 in my Holga as well.
Also: WTF is up with that White Stripes-branded Holga? DO NOT CROSS THE MEMES.
Post a Comment