Today a small dream came true. About ten years ago, I saw Blade Runner for the first time and it quickly became my favorite movie. I guess a lot of it had to do with the fact that I saw it right at that age when you transition from loving movies because they shaped your childhood and sparked your imagination (Star Wars, The Princess Bride, Disney, etc) to realizing that filmmaking is a craft and that great movies are themselves art. Plus, I just really love sci fi. Unfortunately, the closest I ever came to seeing it on anything better than a 27" TV was when we watched a muddied VHS copy on a cheap projector in film study class, senior year of high school. Lucky for me, Ridley Scott released a 25th anniversary Final Cut this year, and a local indie theater is playing it. Seeing Blade Runner as God and Scott originally intended it was nothing short of a wonderful experience. There are so many details that just don't make it through in small format. Plus, the opening shots of 2019 L.A. are breathtaking and the vulnerability of Rachel's voice combined with her huge, dow eyes is even more compelling. So, as I sit here typing, with a framed Blade Runner poster hanging right above my head, I'm trying to figure out when I'll have time next week to go see it again.
It's been a busy weekend. Friday night I rediscovered (as I seem to do every weekend) how much less expensive things often are here when compared with the West Coast. For example, here's what 20 bucks got me:
- 1 ticket to see an amazing show by The Drastics
- 1 Stoli and Coke
- 2 Rum and Cokes
- 1 Miller High Life
Can't complain about that.
I also made it out to a little town called Mineral Point, which was very cute and festive and has somehow managed to avoid opening a single Starbucks along their scenic main street.


In keeping with the spirit of the season, Erika and I decided to make some non-denominational holiday sour cream sugar cookies. While they got off to a bit of a rough start,

the finished product was pretty awesome. And delicious.

Happy Birthday Jesus!
No comments:
Post a Comment