Friday, February 08, 2008
I got yer stimulus package right here...
How is this at all a good idea? The government is going to make believe that it's just *giving* everyone $600 that (hopefully) they will use for paying off a little debt and then suddenly the economy will be right back into boomtown. Oh by the way, don't make a big deal about this but it's not actually a free 600 bucks (the government isn't sickeningly in debt or anything) but a loan on next year's tax refund. Presumably we're all supposed to invest this money, or put it towards crippling credit card debt or sub-prime loan payments. Yeah right. Six hundred bucks is exactly the wrong amount to be giving people for that purpose- it's probably too small to make a significant dent for those who are truly deep in debt, but it's perfect for that new toy we've all been wanting. Hell, the first thing I thought when I heard about the checks was, "Oh man, I'll finally be able to get the axioms!" I've been drooling over the speakers for the past couple years, but haven't been able to justify blowing $450 on them. This way I'd still have a little left over for some hefty speaker wire. Woo free money! Come May, I predict a significant spike in iPod, xbox, and Armani sunglasses sales; next April people are in for a sorry surpirse when they start looking for that tax refund they've been counting on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i'm totally using my $600 to pay off my taxes. i'll get the check and send it right back to the IRS. le sigh...
Sooooo . . . wait, I don't get to keep the six hundred? It comes out of my 2008 refund? What the hell is that? Won't the economy just suffer by six hundred dollars per person NEXT year (when that a-hole is out of office?) Who do I email about this?
Post a Comment