
Okay Whole Foods, let's be serious. I know you've cast so strong a spell upon Upper Middle Class White America that James Dobson must have a binder full of notes on your convert-recruitment techniques, that you've somehow conned us into believing artfully trimmed leeks are totally worth 3 times what we'd pay at the (scoff) *regular* groceries, and that by shopping within your walls we are actually doing the earth a favor and dramatically bettering ourselves, but it's starting to get ridiculous. FIVE DOLLARS for one freaking cookie?! I saw them there, "individually shrink-wrapped for optimal freshness" because they aren't even made in-house, beside the checkout lane and thought, "Oh, those are sort of pretty, don't look very good though." Then I glanced around trying to figure out what the $4.99 price sign went to. That "fine ribbon" that comes tied around them better be made of delicately spun precious metals. Sadly, I could tell by the dwindling numbers of cookies in the display basket that even this outrage did nothing to deter the power you hold over your shoppers. And so I know my pleas for reason in pricing will go unheard (also, since I'm not sending you an actual letter).
Sincerely and faithfully yours,
platytune
p.s. That dijon mustard I bought today had way too much vinegar and totally sucks.

1 comment:
Last night I decided I wanted some kind of treat and drove to Whole Foods to browse. After about fifteen minutes of admiring the various foodstuffs wrapped in glossy, crinkly cellophane, I realized what I really wanted was to be somewhere that was a treat to complete the experience. Since WF is generally above my price range and the people there are all way "cooler" than me, I left having bought nothing and drove to Henry's where I got some asparagus, apples, crackers, a Nana's cookie, and stocked up on nag champa. It was infinitely more satisfying than Whole Paycheck was.
Post a Comment