Tuesday, October 30, 2007

That New Old Sound

I finally made it to B-Side, my favorite record store ever, yesterday. First time since I moved back almost two months ago. B-Side is tiny, barely the size of my living room, but the walls and bins are packed with CDs from the floor up to as far as I can reach, and above that are posters for concerts from the past 25 years and before. Moving around the place with a backpack on is almost impossible. I first wandered in there about 6 years ago, on my first summer back from college. Interested in broadening my musical tastes, I bought My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless," the Pixies' "Doolittle," Modest Mouse's "Moon and Antarctica," and "The Soft Bulletin" by the Flaming lips. The guy ringing it up muttered his approval and from then on I was hooked. Just the dusty smell of the place is enough to make me happy. Anyway, here's what I bought yesterday:
Neko Case - "Furnace Room Lullaby"
Iron and Wine - "The Shephard's Dog"
Band of Horses - "Cease to Begin"
Okkervil River - "Down the River of Golden Dreams"

Apparently I have some sort of folk/country/americana craving going on, but I tempered it with a vinyl "Mile-Eyed Mender" that they had on sale. Now I've got plenty of new music for my trip to San Diego tomorrow.

No comments: